Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Truly, Madly & Completey

I was reading a fellow blogger’s entry the other day, and the subject was music/songs that remind us of different people, places, etc.

 

There are a few songs that do remind of me of certain people and places..  Not good people or places...but..

 

For instance this morning when my husband’s alarm/radio went on, we woke up to Clearwater Revival.  I don’t remember which song it was (they all sound the same to me), but whenever I do hear anything sung by Clearwater Revival it reminds me of my ex-husband, who LOVED Clearwater.  It also reminds me of that hot afternoon, driving home from an anniversary party that was thrown by his best friend.  I was driving because of course my ex-husband had a little too much to drink.  He had his bare feet sticking out of the passenger side window singing along to Clearwater Revival.  I was not amused, just thankful that it was a summer early evening, and I didn’t have to deal with nightfall on the dark narrow country roads I was driving. 

 

I remember this day quite clearly because I had a sudden realization that day listening to Clearwater Revival Greatest Hits CD.  I was thinking of the surprise 65th wedding anniversary party we had been to earlier.  It was for his best friend’s parents who must have been well into their 80’s.  It was a surprise anniversary party, and their kids went all out.  They had a wedding ceremony at the church where they confirmed their wedding vows, and later a big reception at the nearby Portuguese hall.  I remembered the looks on their faces-neither of them looking too excited and more annoyed than anything else.  They did not look prepared for so much "excitement" they looked more like a pair of very tired deer caught in the headlights of a fast approaching pick up.  Sure they smiled, but I think they were a little too stunned-and overwhelmed by the suprise.  I then looked over to passenger side of my car and saw the husband rocking out, with his eyes half closed to Clearwater pretending to playing air guitar, with his feet stuck out of the window.  Okay, I was grateful that at the he was the happy and dumb drunk at the moment, versus, the kicking the seats mean drunk.  I suddenly realized that I was 30 years old.  Damn-I felt old!  Was I going to be celebrating my 65th wedding anniversary with this guy?  Is this as good as it gets?  I seriously didn’t think it was going to happen-and it hit me right there and then.  It was a scary reality check that I didn’t really want to accept, but at the same time, strange as it may sound, it was almost a relief to know that it wasn’t going to last forever. 

 

When I hear the song, Truly, Madly, Completely, by Savage Garden, I also think of my ex-husband-but not just him.  I think of him and his Canadian, married girlfriend (courtesy of an AOL chat room) that he was cheating on me with.  Okay, there were a few others, but this one is the one I really knew about.  I know this was “their song” (excuse me while I hurl) because of the emails I found from this woman on my computer where she wrote the words of the lyrics to the song.  This was confirmed by my own daughter, before the divorce, when Lizzy announced one day in the car that the song that was playing on the radio was “Dad & Espie’s song”.  Lovely.   I think Liz was like 10 years old.  Isn’t that lovely that she should know about that, huh?  Her dad didn’t bother to hide it from her.  Apparently a complete cassette full of love ballads was sent to the ex, via the lovely Espie.  At least I’m grateful to only know of this one song.  Whenever I hear that song, I shut it off-it makes me sick and it makes me angry, but sometimes it makes me laugh.  Why?  I TRULY, MADLY, COMPLETELY know that Espie did me a big favor. 

 

Don’t get me wrong.  There are songs that I know that remind me of good people and good things.  I will write about those later.  When my alarm woke up this morning, the radio/alarm went off, and the first thing I heard was a man’s voice saying:  “Millionaire”.  I’m not kidding.  It was a commercial for the California State Lottery, and I caught him ending his sentence with "millionaire."  Sounds good, huh?  Of course I bought a lottery ticket this morning!  Bring it on!

 

Today is Tuesday—not much happening today…literally.  I realize today is a Rosh Hashanah, but is that a good enough reason for the HOUSE to take TWO days off instead of working on this EMERGENCY crisis our country is facing?  Don’t they want toget this settled?  Isn’t it important?!  How irresponsible!  Damn.  May be we ALL should take a few days off, and not pay our bills, and just let things “settle” for awhile.  Seriously, let's all play golf!

 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have a good hump day.
Missie

Anonymous said...

my ex dedicated "She Drives Me Crazy" by Fine Young Cannibals on the radio in 1987. ASSHOLE.
My ex fiancee that i loved so much dumped me for thinner, richer, prettier and Catholic perfect girl and one night we were at the same tavern. They got up, RIGHT IN FRONT OF MY TABLE, and danced to "Lady in Red" by Chris De Burgh.
PHOOEY!  i wanted to trip the ass but instead, someone bought me a round..or two. Man, i got drunk!
So, i can relate. I love CCR, one of my favorites of all time.
XO

Heli gunner Tom said...

Hi Julie,
I know exactly how your feel, and music is a very powerful stimulus and "trigger." When I was in Vietnam as a helicopter door gunner, we could listen to the pilot's commands but also the 'Armed Forces Radio network and all the great music hits of that era.. rock 'n roll. So you can imagine how some of that old music triggers time and events for me!!
I hope you visit my Journal sometime.

I like your blog.

Tom Schuckman
tschuckman@aol.com
Disabled Vietnam Vet: 69-70.